Have you ever arrived at the end of a busy day (week, month, year) and wondered where the time has gone? I know I have.
In coaching hundreds of leaders all over the world, I’ve noticed that I’m not alone. Nearly everyone I talk to wishes there was more time to do all the things they have to do.
So, they put in longer hours. They multitask, work through lunch, on evenings, weekends, and during vacation. And they still don’t get more done. They’re not any happier (in fact, they’re usually exhausted and disengaged).
Here’s the thing: Time is a finite resource. You can’t manage time—it just keeps ticking away.
And all of us get the exact same amount of time each day!
So what makes some people seem more productive? They know how to manage their energy, not their time.
Many people don’t think of their energy as a resource that they can tap into and channel consciously.
Your mind is a powerful thing. There is a huge connection between your thoughts, feelings, actions, and results. What you think about and focus on affects how you feel and behave in situations you’re facing. Your repeated actions add up to the results that you get.
We often get stuck either ruminating over things in the past, obsessing about how overwhelmed we feel by our workload, or deluding ourselves into thinking things will be better in the future and we miss the NOW!
People spend as much as 70% of their daytime hours in a semi-conscious state of distraction. This matters because all of stress is generated in this state!
How often do you find yourself wondering why someone treated you like they did, wishing you had made a different decision, or responded differently to someone? (My guess is pretty often.)
The same is true if you spend too much time dreaming of the future. Don’t get me wrong—setting goals and planning are great when they are the target that keeps you focused.
What I’m talking about are the thoughts like, “If they would ever promote me, then I’d feel valued” and “Once this project is finished I’ll cut back my hours.”
But oftentimes the future situation never comes, or it comes and goes and we continue pushing the bar ever higher, delaying our satisfaction indefinitely!
These thought patterns are so distracting that they often tie up your energy so that you can’t concentrate or work effectively (on tasks or with some people).When you learn how to manage your energy, you become happier and more productive.
Many people go through life on autopilot not really even experiencing the present moment because they’re so focused on THEN and WHEN, not NOW.
Here are 5 steps to help you manage your energy for greater engagement + productivity NOW!
Step 1 – Recognize:
• It’s important to recognize how much time you spend thinking about things that produce no useful outcomes.
• When you notice that your mind has wandered, bring it back to the present.
Step 2 – Engage:
• Commit to being present in all conversations and meetings (including those with your family and friends). This means controlling your attention and not allowing yourself to become distracted.
• Be there, physically and mentally.
• Imagine what it will be like to actually enjoy a meal or event without your iPhone distracting you! J
Step 3 – Reframe:
• When you feel overwhelmed, STOP, and ask yourself, “How could I think about or look at the situation differently so I can make changes to get the result I want?”
• Commit to a specific, achievable action. Ask yourself, “What is the FIRST thing I should do?”
• Focus on what you can control (your thinking, your actions).
Step 4 – Release:
• Ask yourself, “Will continuing to focus on this help me, my people, or my organization?”
• If NO, CHOOSE to LET GO.
Step 5 – Appreciate:
• Note your accomplishments at the end of the day.
• Think of 3 things that went well or that you’re grateful for. Focusing on your successes will attract more positive things to you.
Practice! When you repeat these steps, it becomes your new normal way of being.
If you want to learn more about uncovering your own energetic tendencies and how to become more productive, schedule a Complimentary Discovery Call with me.
You can also download my free gift, “The Rule-Breaker’s Guide to Managing Your Energy at Work” to begin taking back control of your energy and success!